RainX on solar panels

Power 2 Spare

Not sure if this is already a topic, I didn't read through all the postings. If it is, please direct me to the proper thread.

I've recently installed 9000Wh of solar panels on my house. And have been considering a move that may seem to be a time saver, but I wanted to see if anyone else has tried it and if there are any pitfalls or if it is worth doing.

Every 12 to 18 months I super clean my windshield of my car and use RainX on the final step. I find that this helps keep the windshield clean and prevents water staining / spots after a rain. I was thinking about doing this with my solar array, but before I get up there and go through the process, I wanted to get input from all of you who have had panels for a while. Is this a good idea, or do you have any suggestions for spotless panels?

Feedback please!

Hrmm, that is a very interesting idea. I don't see why it wouldn't work. It would definitely make it a lot easier to clean off later on. Plus, when it rains, the water would not only bead off quickly (which would allow the panel to resume faster after a rain cloud passed), but it would also help to carry away the dirt/dust easier. At least, that's theoretical.

I think, Terry, you are our guinea pig :p

I have solar for many years now, in the early days i used to clean them every few monts... but give this up fast, partly becourse i am a bit lazy butmostly becourse it is useless.
If the panels are installed ona decentangle they stay pretty clean by themselve.
A water repellant as RainX might do something, but ithas to be re-done also, so... don'tknow if it is expencive, but it could not hurt to try on a few panels, to see the difference between panels with Rainx and without.

BTW, it's 9000W (not Wh) of solar panels, or 9000Wp (Watt Peak) is used also in Europe for solar panels. ;)

Well I figure that it can be applied via a swiffer wet jet applicator. That way it is stream lined for the fastest application. I plan on doing it at least once. Just to test.

I clean mine every three months, just use car wash n wax :) seems to work fine

I used car wax on one panel to test. Don't like it. The panel is better off without it. It leaves a residue that mixes with dust and is hard to get off. Best thing is plain water.

I get 10-15% extra power immediately after wetting the panels. It only lasts a few minutes though. When it dries the power goes back to normal. Some think this is from cooling as PV cells produce more power at lower temperatures.

Most people do just use water to wash, and others take some time to use soap with a gentle brush on a boom, and still others squeegee them dry. The only extra step I plan on is adding the RainX. Might be tackling it next week.

TerryTexas said:
Most people do just use water to wash, and others take some time to use soap with a gentle brush on a boom, and still others squeegee them dry. The only extra step I plan on is adding the RainX. Might be tackling it next week.

Having used RainX on my windscreen I believe it is well worth a go. Dust seems less inclined to stick to the windscreen too. I will be curious to see how this turns out.

mike said:
It's an interesting idea, but rather than waxing or RainX-ing my panels, I'd probably just install one additional panel and just let the system be.

Keeping panels clean can make a huge difference. It isn't going to take much longer or cost too much to put some RainX on. If it works and panels stay clean longer, then I can't see why not. RainX is a lot better than similar products, as dust does not tend to stick to it.

edit:

After some googling - it looks like it has been discussed before.

RainX themselves recommend against it

I have to think that RainX has to say that so it doesn't open itself to any potential issues with people. In the US people will sue over the most ridiculous things.

TerryTexas said:
I have to think that RainX has to say that so it doesn't open itself to any potential issues with people. In the US people will sue over the most ridiculous things.

That indeed is true. However as someone on Whirlpool pointed out, rain does bead and settle on RainX. Most say its not worthwhile.

All that said, give it a go by all means. Let us know how you go. It is unlikely to do any harm. (insert disclaimer here to avoid ridiculous US lawsuit :p)

Back